When I tried this rice for the first time, I was delighted with the sabor from the combination of the white rice and the stewed habichuelas (red kidney beans). Very easy to prepare, I like to call this dish my ‘last-minute meal saver.’ Most of the time we already have some white rice and habichuelas left over in the fridge. All that’s left to do is give these ingredients a different toque with diced ham and bell peppers–your family will never realize they’re eating leftovers. Try it out and let me know how it works for you!
From our Amigos at Que Rica Vida
- 4 cups cooked white rice leftovers work great
- 1 lb red kidney beans stewed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sweet peppers diced
- 1 cup smoked ham diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh culantro or cilantrillo chopped
- In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and add the ham. Sauté for several minutes, until the ham has begun to turn golden brown. Then stir-in the rice and beans. Mix the ingredients well–the rice will turn a bit brown with the broth from the beans.
- Last, add the sweet peppers and the cilantro to the mixture. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
- Serve hot alongside your favorite side dish.