This Chorizo Potato and Egg Breakfast Skillet is literally the breakfast of champions. Crispy potatoes in a cast-iron skillet with chorizo, potatoes and eggs surrounded by melted cheese. This Mexican recipe is the ultimate cast iron breakfast skillet.
Chorizo Potato and Egg Skillet
- 2 – medium-sized Idaho russet potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 1/2 – tablespoons vegetable oil
- 1 – teaspoon salt
- 1/2 – cup chopped onion
- 9 – ounces pork chorizo remove casing
- 5 – eggs
- corn or flour tortillas
- Place a small pot filled halfway with water over a medium flame bring to a boil. Once boiling, add in diced potatoes and let boil for 10 minutes. Remove from flame and drain. Set to the side.
- In a large frying pan over a medium flame add vegetable oil and allow to heat.
- Add in boiled potatoes and salt. Fry on each side for 5 minutes or until crisp.
- Add in chopped onion, and mix well. Continue frying for an additional 5 minutes.
- Remove the chorizo from its casing and add to the potato-onion mixture.
- With your spatula stab the chorizo to break it up. As it continues to cook it will become easier to break up. Then mix it into the potato-onion mixture.
- Cook for an additional 10 to 12 minutes or until crisp.
- Next crack your eggs in a bowl and scramble with a fork, then pour over chorizo potato mixture.
- Cook for 5 to 6 minutes, mixing and combining all ingredients the entire time.
- You want to make sure the eggs are well done.
- Remove from flame, and either wrap in a flour tortilla for a burrito or enjoy in a corn tortilla for a lovely breakfast taco.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.