Before we start making the Chicken Tinga Recipe, let’s get familiar with the meat itself.
What is Tinga Meat
While chicken seems to be the most popular version, tinga can be made with pork or beef. Good cuts to use are pork shoulder or beef chuck roast which are excellent for stews.
Like the chicken, the pork or beef is first simmered in liquid and aromatics until fork-tender. It is then shredded, sauteed in garlic and onions, and finished off in the spicy tinga sauce.
Delicious Mexican Chicken Tinga Recipe
- 3 pounds chicken breast
- 1 onion peeled and quartered
- 3 cloves garlic peeled and pounded
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/2 teaspoon peppercorns
- 1 tablespoon salt
- 1 can chipotle peppers adobo sauce 7.5 ounces
- 2 tomatoes chopped
- 1 tablespoon canola oil
- 1 onion peeled and chopped
- 1 tablespoon cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon oregano
- In small, heavy-bottomed pot, arrange chicken breasts in a single layer. Add quartered onions, smashed garlic cloves, bay leaf, salt, peppercorns, and enough water to cover.
- Bring to a boil, skimming scum that floats on top. Lower heat, cover, and cook in a barely a simmer for about 10 to 15 minutes or until thermometer inserted in the thickest part of chicken reads 165 F.
- With a slotted spoon, remove chicken from pot and allow to cool to touch. Coarsely shred chicken and keep warm.
- Strain liquid using a fine mesh sieve. Discard bay leaf and peppercorns. Reserve the softened onions and garlic and 1 cup of the broth.
- In a blender, combine chipotle peppers including sauce, tomatoes, the softened onion quarters, garlic, and 1 cup reserved broth.
- In a wide pan over medium heat, heat oil. Add onions and cook until softened.
- Add pureed chipotle tomato sauce, vinegar, cumin, and oregano. Bring to a simmer for about 2 to 3 minutes.
- Add shredded chicken and continue to cook for about 7 to 10 minutes or until heated and sauce is thickened.
- Season with salt, if needed. Serve hot.