Tembleque, coconut pudding
Brings back so many memories of the days my family would vacation in Puerto Rico to see my relatives. It was one of my favorite things to eat—I’m sure it will become a much-loved recipe with your family, as well.
TOTAL TIME: Prep: 5 min. Cook: 15 min. + coolingYIELD:8 servings
Nutritional Facts1/2 cup equals 286 calories, 21 g fat (18 g saturated fat), 0 cholesterol, 161 mg sodium, 27 g carbohydrate, 1 g fiber, 2 g protein.
Puerto Rican Coconut Pudding
- 4 cups coconut milk
- 1/2 cup of cornstarch
- 2/3 cup of sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon grand marnier
- ground cinnamon (for garnish)
- toasted coconut (for garnish)
- In medium saucepan over medium-high heat, combine coconut milk, sugar, cornstarch and salt, stirring to dissolve cornstarch. Cook, stirring constantly, until mixture comes to a boil and is smooth and thick, about 5 minutes.
- Pour into six 4-oz. molds, or one 3-cup mold. Cover with plastic wrap. Refrigerate until cold and firm, at least 3 hours, or up to 48 hours.
- To unmold, run thin knife around edge. Invert mold (or molds) onto serving plate. Top with toasted coconut, if desired. Sprinkle with cinnamon, if desired.