The Fricasé de Pollo a la Cubana (Chicken Fricassee) recipe is one of the most popular Cuban dish, that includes chicken and potatoes cooked in tomato and wine sauce.
Cuban Chicken Fricassee Recipe
- 2 lb chicken pieces skinned
- 1/3 cup canola oil
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 1 large onion chopped
- 1/2 green bell pepper chopped
- 1/2 cup tomato sauce
- 1/4 cup sour orange juice
- 1/2 cup dry white wine
- 1/2 lb potatoes peeled and cubed
- 1 tsp salt and black pepper
- 1/2 cup Spanish olives pimento-stuffed
- 1/4 cup capers
- 2 tsp oregano
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 bay leave
- In a large bowl, place the garlic, salt and pepper, and sour orange juice to make the marinade. Place the pieces of chicken in the bowl, making sure to soak both sides of the chicken, and cover and refrigerate for 2 to 3 hours. For the chicken pieces, you may use a combination of thighs, wings, and breasts.
- Take the pieces of chicken out of the bowl, and using a dutch oven, lightly brown them on both sides using cooking oil, making sure not to overcook them or burn them. Place the pieces of chicken on a paper towel covered dishes as they are fried.
- Add the onions, green bell pepper, and chicken pieces over medium-high heat and saute until the onions are translucent.
- Add marinade from the bowl, along with tomato sauce, wine, potatoes, olives, oregano, cumin, capers, and bay leaves. Cover pot and reduce the heat to low and let simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- When done, the potatoes should be cooked and somewhat soft. Place in a large serving dish and serve with white rice.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.