Frijoles Refritos Estilo Texas is a Tex-Mex recipe for tasty refried beans with pulled pork and jalapenos mixed in. Texas Style Refried Beans are prepared using a method that adds pulled pork, onions, and jalapenos with a few spices to give an added flavor to the same old boring refried beans.
This dish can stand on its own and be served with some tortilla chips, or pair it with some Mexican Yellow Rice as a side to Chicken Enchiladas with Roasted Tomatillo Sauce for the perfect dinner tonight. So get to cooking, and turn those frowns upside down at the dinner table tonight.
Frijoles Refritos Estilo Texas ~ Texas Style Refried Beans
For the Beans
- ½ lbs dried pinto beans
- 2 sprigs oregano
- 1 medium white onion ½ minced (about ½ cup), ½ left whole
- 2 cloves garlic
- ½ cup cheddar cheese shredded
- In a large pot, cover the beans with cold water by at least 2 inches. Add herb sprigs, the whole onion half, and garlic cloves and bring to a boil over high heat. Reduce heat to simmer and cook until beans are very tender, about 1 to 2 hours.
- Season with salt. Drain beans, reserving bean-cooking liquid. You should have about 3 cups of cooked beans; if you have more, measure out 3 cups of beans and reserve the rest for another use. Discard herb sprigs, onion, and garlic.
- In a large skillet, heat the pulled pork over medium-high heat to render the fat. Add the minced onion and diced jalapeno, stirring occasionally, until onions and jalapenos are tender.
- Stir in beans and cook for 2 minutes.
- Add 1/4 cup of the reserved bean cooking liquid, chili powder and cumin. Using bean masher, potato masher, or back of a wooden spoon, smash the beans to form a chunky purée; alternatively, use a stick blender to make a smoother purée. Thin with more bean cooking water until desired consistency is reached.
- If refried beans become too wet, simmer, stirring, until thickened; if they become too dry, add more bean-cooking liquid, 1 tablespoon at a time, as needed. Season with salt and serve.
- Garnish with shredded cheddar cheese.
Make a Meal with Texas Style Refried Beans
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.