Welcome, food lovers! Today, we’re journeying to the vibrant heart of Mexico without leaving our kitchens. We’re preparing a dish that’s not only delicious but also fast and straightforward – the mouthwatering Grilled Shrimp Tostadas!
Tostadas, in their most basic form, are simply fried or toasted tortillas. But top them with a harmony of ingredients like shrimp, homemade guacamole, refried beans, and lettuce, and you’re in for a feast that sings with flavors and textures.
Unveiling the Grilled Shrimp Tostada
Our star ingredient is the shrimp. Grilled to perfection, they add a smoky, seafood essence that perfectly complements the other elements of the dish. Then we have the guacamole, a traditional Mexican avocado-based dip that is creamy, tangy, and chock full of fresh flavors. We layer these on a crispy tostada with refried beans and lettuce for a delightful mix of textures.
Ingredients and Kitchen Tools
Let’s start with the ingredients. You’ll need ripe avocados, plum tomato, lime, red onion, garlic, and cilantro for the guacamole. For the tostada, gather jumbo shrimp, salsa verde, tostada shells, lettuce, and refried beans. If you wish, you can also include queso blanco and extra salsa verde for topping.
In terms of kitchen tools, you will require a grill or indoor grill pan, skewers, a medium bowl, a fork or potato masher, a knife and cutting board, measuring spoons, plates, spatula or tongs, and a spoon or spreader.
Now let’s dive into the process. First, if grilling outdoors, remember to soak your skewers for 30 minutes. As they’re soaking, mash your avocado pulp in a medium bowl, leaving some chunks for texture. Mix in your other guacamole ingredients and set aside. Next, season your shrimp, add in garlic and salsa verde, and skewer them. Grill these on a medium flame for about 2 minutes each side.
Assemble your tostadas by spreading refried beans, followed by lettuce and guacamole, on each shell. Top it with a skewer of grilled shrimp and your optional toppings.
Serving and Presentation Tips
To serve, arrange each tostada on a plate. If you’re hosting a party, consider setting up a DIY tostada station where guests can assemble their own – it’s a fun way to get everyone involved. A pairing of ice-cold margaritas or your favorite Mexican beer would be the perfect accompaniment.
Grilled Shrimp Tostadas
- Grill or Indoor Grill Pan: To grill the shrimp. If you're using an outdoor grill and using wooden skewers, you'll also need to soak the skewers, which means you'll need a container filled with water that's long enough to submerge the skewers.
- Skewers: To hold the shrimp while grilling.
- Medium Bowl: For mixing the guacamole ingredients.
- Fork or Potato Masher: To mash the avocado for the guacamole.
- Knife and Cutting Board: For chopping the vegetables and deveining the shrimp.
- Measuring Spoons: To measure out ingredients like the salsa verde, minced red onion, and crushed garlic.
- Plates: For serving the tostadas.
- Spatula or Tongs: For turning the shrimp on the grill.
- Spoon or Spreader: To spread the refried beans on the tostada shells.
For the Guacamole:
For the Tostada:
- salsa verde
- 2 tbsp queso blanco crumbled
- If you plan to grill outdoors, soak skewers for at least 30 minutes.
- Scoop out the pulp from the 1 medium avocado into a medium bowl. Mash it slightly with a fork or potato masher, but leave some larger pieces. Stir in the ½ plum tomato, ½ lime, salt, black pepper, ½ tbsp cilantro, 2 tbsp red onion, and 1 clove garlic until well combined.
- Season the 16 jumbo shrimp with salt, then add the crushed 1 clove garlic and 2 tbsp salsa verde. Divide the shrimp between 4 skewers.
- Heat the grill or an indoor grill pan over a medium flame. Once it’s hot, oil the grates and grill the shrimp for about 1-2 minutes on each side. Set aside when done.
Assemble the Tostadas:
- Lay out 4 tostada shells on a plate. Spread 1/4 cup of 1 cup refried beans evenly on each shell, followed by 1/4 cup of 1 cup lettuce and a portion of the guacamole.
- Top each tostada with a skewer of grilled shrimp. Serve with extra salsa verde and crumbled 2 tbsp queso blanco, if desired. Enjoy your delicious Grilled Shrimp Tostadas!
There you have it – Grilled Shrimp Tostadas, a dish that offers a delightful crunch, a mix of flavors, and the satisfaction of creating an authentic Mexican experience right at home. So why wait? Fire up the grill and enjoy a ‘Sizzling Shrimp Tostadas’ night.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.