The habichuelas or red kidney beans can be substituted for garbanzo or black beans. To give a special toque to this dish, use Spanish chorizo instead of ham. Try adding some pieces of chopped ripe plantain for a little sweetness.
- 4 cups cooked white rice leftovers work great
- 1 lb red kidney beans stewed
- 1/4 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 4 sweet peppers diced
- 1 cup smoked ham diced
- 1/4 cup green bell pepper
- 1/4 cup red bell pepper
- 1/4 cup yellow bell pepper
- 1/4 cup fresh culantro or cilantrillo chopped
In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and add the ham. Sauté for several minutes, until the ham has begun to turn golden brown. Then stir-in the rice and beans. Mix the ingredients well–the rice will turn a bit brown with the broth from the beans.
Last, add the sweet peppers and the cilantro to the mixture. Continue cooking over medium heat for 5-10 minutes.
Serve hot alongside your favorite side dish.