This Canelazo recipe is the hot and comforting answer to cold nights and heavy rainfall in the highlands of Colombia. The drink is particularly popular at Christmas and is sometimes made with cloves or with fruit juice to vary the flavor.
Canelazo (Spiced Cinnamon Rum Drink)
- 3 cups water
- 2/3 cup light brown sugar
- 2/3 cup dark brown sugar
- 1 lime juiced
- 1 pinch of salt
- 1 tsp whole cloves
- 4 to 6 cinnamon sticks
- 1/2 cup orange juice
- 4 ounces aguardiente or rum to taste
- Bring the water, both kinds of sugar, lime juice, salt, cloves, and cinnamon sticks to a boil.
- Simmer for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove from the heat and stir in the orange juice, aguardiente or rum, to taste.
- Reheat without boiling. If it boils, the alcohol will boil away.
- Strain and serve hot.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.