Learn how to make the authentic Guatemalan Dobladas recipe that will tantalize your taste buds and make for a perfect breakfast dish. With simple ingredients and easy steps, this recipe is a must-try for anyone who loves Latin American cuisine.
Guatemalan Dobladas are a popular breakfast dish made with flour tortillas and cheese. The dish is so simple to make that it can be prepared in just 30 minutes. With its unique flavors, it has become a favorite breakfast option in many Guatemalan households.
To make this delicious dish, all you need is some farmer cheese or queso fresco, a small red bell pepper, a small onion, pepper, salt, olive oil, garlic powder, flour tortillas, and salsa. If you can’t find farmer cheese or queso fresco, you can use cottage cheese and strain it in a cheesecloth for several hours in a cool place.
To prepare the dish, mix the cheese, pepper, onion, black pepper, salt, and garlic powder (optional) together. Put one heaping tablespoon of the cheese mixture on the lower half of a tortilla and fold it over to make a half-moon shape. Press it lightly. Heat the oil in a skillet on medium-high heat and fry until it is crisp and golden on both sides. Drain on paper towels and serve it warm with salsa if desired.
Dobladas can also be served with cabbage, salsa, and queso on top. It is a versatile dish that can be enjoyed with a variety of toppings or served as it is. Whether you are hosting a breakfast party or looking for a quick breakfast option, the Guatemalan Dobladas recipe is a must-try.
Guatemalan Dobladas Recipe
- 1 cup farmer cheese or queso fresco or queso de capas
- 1 small small red bell pepper finely chopped
- 1 small small onion finely chopped
- ½ tsp pepper
- ½ tsp salt
- ¼ cup olive oil
- ¼ tsp garlic powder optional
- 10 flour tortillas
- salsa optional
- Mix cheese, pepper, onion, black pepper and salt(and garlic powder if using) together.
- Put 1 heaping tablespoon of the cheese mixture on the lower half of a tortilla and fold over to make a half-moon shape. Press lightly.
- Heat oil in skillet on medium high heat and fry until crisp and golden on both sides.
- Drain on paper towels and serve warm. Serve with salsa if desired.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.