Cheese Soup with Masa Doughnuts or Sopa de Queso Nicaragüense con Donas de Masa is a Nicaragua Recipe enjoyed by Nicaraguans. This Sopa de Queso dish is quite common around the world. Even adding masa dumplings is common, but leave it to the Nicaraguans to come up with this particular spin on the recipe. The real star is the corn masa doughnuts. Not only does it give the soup both flavor and body, but it also fried into crunchy doughnuts that go right inside the bowl.
Sopa de Queso Nicaragüense con Donas de Masa
For the Masa
- 2 cups tortilla flour
- 1 1/2 cups grated dried cheese such as Parmesan
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 teaspoon ground achiote optional
- *kosher salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
For the Soup and Fritters
- 2 cups vegetable oil
- 1 white onion chopped
- 1/2 red or green bell pepper chopped
- 2 cups milk
- 1 cube vegetable bouillon optional
- 2 large eggs lightly beaten
- *kosher salt and freshly ground pepper to taste
- *hierbabuena or parsley sprigs for garnish
Make the Masa for the Doughnuts
- Combine tortilla flour with grated cheese, egg, salt and pepper to taste, and the achiote dissolved in 3/4 cup water. Knead the doughly lightly until soft and pliable but not sticky. Cover with a cloth and let rest.
Make the Soup
- Heat 3 tablespoons of the oil in a saucepan over medium heat. Add the onion and bell pepper and cook until the vegetables are tender.
- Add the milk, 3 cups of water, and salt and pepper to taste. Add the bouillon cube, if using. Take 1/2 cup of the masa and dissolve it in 1/2 cup water. Add to the soup.
- Simmer until lightly thickened, and taste adding more salt or pepper.
Make the Doughnuts
- In a deep frying pan heat the remaining oil over medium heat to about 365 degrees. Knead the reserved masa (add a little water if needed) and roll out the dough to about 3/4-inch thick. Use a doughnut cutter to make doughnuts and fry them in the hot oil until golden.
- Transfer the fritters to a plate covered with paper towel.
The Final Preprations
- Just before serving, drop the eggs in a thin stream in the hot soup, stirring all the time.
- Put some masa doughnuts in each soup bowl, cover with soup and garnish with hierbabuena or parsley. Serve immediately.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.