These days trying to come up with creative ideas in the kitchen is getting more challenging. The sounds of “Mom not again” is probably reverberating in your eardrums! We’ve got a perfect solution to that problem. We pulled this Mexican Pizza Recipe out of our HFNTV oven archive. This video originally aired on the En La Cocina show with Mike Gonzalez. So if you like a thin crust pizza, try this recipe, it’s easy to make and really good!
- 4 12 inch flour tortillas
- 1 lb. chorizo sausage casing removed
- 3 dried guajillo chiles
- 2 dried ancho chiles
- 3 large fresh tomatoes
- 4 cloves garlic rough chop
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 1 cup water
- 1 large green bell pepper chopped
- 8 oz Mexican Oaxacan string cheese sliced ( substitute mozzarella)
- 4 oz Mexican Queso Cotijo finely crumbled ( substitute parmesan or feta)
- 2 tsp Mexican oregano
- 1 tsp salt or to taste
- 1 tsp piloncillo or raw sugar
- ½ tsp Spanish smoked paprika
- ¼ cup fresh basil chopped ( optional )
Prepare chile puree:
- Rehydrate the dried chiles by filling a small saucepan with water. Bring to a boil, submerge the guajillo and ancho chiles in the boiling water. It may be necessary to put a weight on the chiles to keep them submerged.
- Reduce heat to medium and simmer for five minutes.
- Set aside for 15 to 20 minutes to steep.
- Drain the chiles, remove the stem and scrape out the seeds.
- Place the chiles in a blender with the tomatoes, garlic, and a half cup of water. Blend until smooth.
Prepare pizza sauce:
- Place a deep skillet over med-high heat.
- When hot add ¼ cup of vegetable oil. Strain the contents of blender directly into the skillet. Push the puree through the sieve with a wooden spoon.
- Add the tomato paste, oregano, salt, sugar, paprika and ½ cup water. Turn heat to medium and let simmer for 15 minutes.
- Add more water if the sauce is too thick and adjust seasoning ( salt) if necessary.
- While the sauce simmers, fry the sausage thoroughly over medium-low heat, breaking up the sausage as it cooks.
- Drain in a colander or with paper towels.
- Spread a little sauce on the top of two tortillas.
- Place another tortilla on top of each one.
- The sauce holds the two tortillas together.
- Slather each with the prepared sauce and cover with the chorizo sausage.
- Place the sliced Oaxacan cheese randomly on pizzas.
- Add the chopped green pepper, then sprinkle the cotijo cheese.
- Add a little more crushed oregano over the pizzas.
- Bake in a hot 400 degree oven for about 15 minutes or until crisp and the cheese is bubbly.
- Chopped fresh basil may be added 5 minutes before it comes out of the oven.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.