Churros are made from butter, water, flour and eggs. Instead of a raising agent, Churros use the high moisture content to create steam during cooking to puff the pastry. This tasty Churro recipe from Laura is a great for any party or gathering or anytime you want a tasty snack.
Homemade Churros Recipe
- 1 cup Water
- 1 cup All Purpose Flour
- 3 Tbsp Unsalted Butter
- 1 Tbsp Vegetable Oil
- 4 Eggs
- 1 Tbsp Granulated Sugar
- ½ tsp Salt
- 1 tsp Vanilla Extract
- Canola Oil for frying
- ½ cup Granulated Sugar for coating
- 1 Tsp Ground Cinnamon
- In a large dutch oven, add enough canola oil to fill the pan about half way, heat it over medium heat to heat it to 375 degrees. You can also use a deep fryer for this.
- In a large saucepan, add the water, butter, vegetable oil, 1 Tbsp of sugar, vanilla and salt, bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to low and add the flour, stirring constantly until the mixture turns into a ball, cook this mixture for about 1 minute. (Remember to constantly stir)
- Add the dough into the bowl and add one egg a time and mixing well after each addition to make sure the egg is well combined.
- Spoon the dough into a piping bag fitted with a large star tip.
- Pipe 5 inch ropes into the hot oil (be very careful) and make sure you only cook a few at a time so you don’t bring down the temperature of the oil. Cook them for a few minutes on each side or until deeply golden brown.
- Drain them on paper towels to remove excess oil and then dip them in the cinnamon sugar. Repeat with your remaining batter and serve right away!