Arroz con Pollo means “Rice with Chicken” in Spanish and is a classic Cuban recipe. Popular in many Latin American countries it has many different ways to prepare it, unique to various countries. This dish is prepared all over Latin America and the Chicken with Rice you find in Cuba will be different from the one you find in Peru. In the Dominican Republic it is alternately called Locrio de Pollo, and in Saint Martin it is called Lokri or Locreo.
To make this Cuban Rice with Chicken you will bread the chicken parts in a flour, salt, black pepper, and paprika mix. In a large skillet, heat the olive oil and brown the chicken. After the chicken is browned remove it from the pan and set asside to prepare the rice.
To prepare the rice, just add to the pan and brown the rice sturing occasionaly. Then add the onion and garlic until the onions have softened. Finaly you add the add stock, tomato, salt, and oregano to the pot, cover and simmer for 25 minutes. All done and you are ready for a delishous treat from Cuba.
You will love this easy to make and delicious to eat, one pan Chicken and Rice meal.
Arroz con Pollo ~ Rice with Chicken
- ½ cup flour for dredging
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp black pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- 1 broiler-fryer chicken cut into serving pieces, bone-in, with skin on, rinsed and patted dry
- 2 cups white rice
- 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil can use up to 1/4 cup
- 1 medium yellow onion chopped
- 1 clove garlic minced
- 3 cups chicken stock
- 1 tbsp tomato paste
- pinch oregano
- 1 tsp salt
- Put the flour in a wide bowl, mix in a generous sprinkling of salt, pepper, and paprika. Dredge the chicken pieces lightly in the flour mixture and put them in the pan to brown.½ cup flour, 1 tsp salt, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp paprika
- Brown the chicken pieces: Heat 3 Tbsp olive oil in a large skillet (a skillet that has a cover) on medium-high heat.1 broiler-fryer chicken, 3 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Cook a few minutes on each side, just enough so that the chicken has browned. Use a slotted spoon to remove from the pan and set aside.
- Add the rice to the pan to brown. Add a little more olive oil if necessary. Stir first to coat the rice with the olive oil in the pan.2 cups white rice, 2 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Don't stir too much or you will prevent it from browning. Let the rice brown and then stir a little to let more of it brown.
- Add the onion and garlic to the pan. Cook the onion, garlic, and rice mixture, stirring frequently until the onions have softened, about 4 minutes.1 medium yellow onion, 1 clove garlic
- Place the chicken pieces, skin-side up, on top of the rice.
- In a separate bowl, mix together the stock, tomato, salt, and oregano. Pour the stock mixture over the rice and chicken.3 cups chicken stock, pinch oregano, 1 tsp salt, 1 tbsp tomato paste
- Bring to a simmer, reduce the heat to low, and cover. Let cook for 20-25 minutes until the rice and chicken are done.
- Fluff the rice with a fork. If you want you can sprinkle with some peas. Add more salt and pepper to taste.
Please Support the Hispanic Food Network
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.