This Mexican recipe for Salsa Verde is a tasty condiment for chips or tamales or just about everything. However, what you like is the right way to use it. Enjoy this awesome condiment.
Easy Salsa Verde Recipe
- 1¼ lbs tomatillos or green tomatoes
- 5 cloves garlic
- 1 medium white or yellow onion skin removed, coarsely chopped
- ¼ cup cilantro
- 1 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vegetable oil
- 1 jalapeno seeds removed
- 3 large green chiles (such as Poblano, Ancho, Anaheim or Hatch) roasted and skins removed
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- Heat broiler: Move oven rack about 4-inch below broiler element. Preheat broiler to high heat.
- Roast tomatillos and jalapeño: Place tomatillos and jalapeño on a baking sheet then place in oven and roast about 4 – 5 minutes until charred on top (keep a close on on things as they can char pretty quickly – especially the pepper)
- Turn and continue to roast: Rotate veggies to opposite side and roast until charred on opposite side, about 3 – 5 minutes longer.s a chip dip.
- Add ingredients to food processor: Slice pepper (or halve then remove seeds) then add to a food processor along with onion, cilantro, garlic, salt, sugar, lime juice, water and tomatillos (and any juices on pan).
- Blitz to a coarse texture: Pulse several times to a coarse puree. Stir in more water to thin if desired. Serve warm as a topping or chill through in refrigerator to use a chip dip.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.