The Torta Cubana is a traditional Mexican sandwich filled with breaded pork loin chop. pork hotdogs, sliced deli ham, fried egg, queso cheese, avocados, refried beans, onion, tomatoes, and Mexican mayonnaise served on a toasted bread roll.
It was invented in the 1950s on Calle Republica de Cuba in Mexico City when a cantina cook first started serving tortas with everything he had available.
Tortas are usually sold at food stalls and small restaurants popularly called torterias across Mexican cities. The variations and regionally influenced creations of tortas are endless.
- 4 bread rolls
- 8 slices deli ham
- 2 hot dog cut lengthwise
- 4 egg
- 1 cup queso cheese
- 1 avocado in slices
- 1 tomato sliced
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 cup refried beans
- vegetable oil for cooking
For the Pork Chops
- 4 boneless pork loin chop
- 1 egg
- ½ cup panko crumbs
- 1¼ tsp sweet paprika
- ½ tsp garlic powder
- ½ tsp onion powder
- ¼ tsp chili powder
- ⅛ tsp black pepper
For the Mexican Mayonnaise
- ½ cups mayonnaise
- ½ tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ½ tsp lime juice
For the Pork Loin Chop
- Preheat oven to 425°F. Spray a large nonstick baking sheet lightly with oil.
- Combine panko, cornflake crumbs, parmesan cheese, 3/4 tsp kosher salt, paprika, garlic powder, onion powder, chili powder and black pepper in a large shallow bowl.
- Place the beaten egg in another shallow bowl.
- Dip the pork into the egg, then crumb mixture.
- Place on the prepared baking sheet and repeat with the remaining chops.
- Lightly spray a little more oil on top of the pork and bake in the oven for 20 minutes.
For the Mexican Mayonnaise
- In a mixing bowl add mayonnaise, chili powder, black pepper, and lime juice and mix well. Set aside for later use.
For the Egg and Other Meats
- In a pan over medium heat add the oil, fry the the egg, cook for 3 minutes.
- In a pan over medium heat heat the oil, fry the hotdogs, remove and reserve.
- In a pan over medium heat, add oil, place the slice of deli ham, add the cheese, cover with another slice of deli ham and fry 2 minutes on one side and turn over.
Assemble the Torta Cubana
- Cut the bread rolls in half.
- Spread the top of the cup with refried beans and the other with Mexican Mayonnaise.
- On the bottom place the avocado slices. Then place the pork loin chop followed by the egg, then the hotdogs, ham and cheese, tomatoes, and finally the onions. Put the top on to finish.
- Cut in half and serve warm.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.