Bistec de Palomilla is a traditional Cuban recipe for Butterflied Sirloin Steak. This culinary delight is made with top sirloin beef. The steak is cut super thin and marinated in a Cuban Mojo sauce made with olive oil, orange juice, lime juice, grapefruit juice, garlic, oregano, cilantro, salt, and black pepper, then pan-fried. When served, the meat is topped with sliced onions that have been sauteed in the Mojo Sauce.
The Bistec de Palomilla is a thin steak, you don’t want it to be more than 1/4 inch thick. It is also usually served medium rare so the cooking time is only 1 to 2 minutes on each side. We have included a Cuban Mojo sauce to marinate your Butterflied Sirloin Steak.
After marinating the steak is pan-fried and the Mojo is used to deglaze the pan and sauté the onions in. Then the steak is plated, and the onions and Mojo are poured on top of the steak to serve. This dish is traditionally accompanied by black beans and rice.
Bistec de Palomilla ~ Butterflied Sirloin Steak
Please Rate this Recipe
For the Steaks:
- 3 lbs top sirloin steak ¼ inch thick
- 1 yellow onion thinly sliced
- olive oil twice around the pan
- fresh parsley chopped for garnish
Make the Mojo:
- In a mixing bowl add the ingredients and mix well.
- Set aside for the steak marination process.
Make the Steak:
- If your steak is thicker than ¼ inch you need to pound your steak to ¼ thickness. Use a sheet of plastic wrap on the bottom and a sheet of plastic wrap on top and pound thin with the smooth side of your kitchen meat mallet.
- Place the steaks, Mojo, and onions into a plastic ziplock bag.
- Place the bag in the refrigerator and allow to marinate – preferably overnight, but at least for one hour.
- Remove the steaks from the Mojo and pat dry. Remove the onions and set asside. Reserve the Mojo.
- Heat olive oil in a large frying pan.
- Fry the steaks quickly about 1 to 2 minutes per side and remove to a warm platter.
- Add the remaining Mojo into the pan and stir and scrapt the bottom, this will “clean” any burnt bits from the pan.
- Add the onions and stur over medium heat for about 5 minutes. The onions should still be crisp.
- Pour the onions and Mojo mixture over the steaks on the platter. And garnish with the chopped fresh parsley.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.