Chilean Beef Empanada Recipe
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1/2 lb beef sirloin steak cut into 1/4-inch cubes
- 1 in small onion cuthalf, sliced
- 1 plum tomato seeded, chopped
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1 teaspoon red wine vinegar
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 box refrigerated pie crusts softened as directed on box
- Heat oven to 450°F.
- In 10-inch skillet, heat oil over medium-high heat. Add beef. Cook, stirring frequently, about 3 minutes or until golden brown; reserve in medium bowl. In same skillet, cook onion about 3 minutes or until brown. Add tomato, beef, soy sauce, vinegar and pepper. Cook 2 to 3 minutes or until liquid has evaporated. Remove from heat. Cool 5 minutes.
- On lightly floured work surface, roll each pie crust into 14-inch circle. Using 6-inch round plate, cut 3 circles from each crust. Reroll remaining dough, and cut 2 more 6-inch circles. Moisten edge of each circle with water, and place about 2 tablespoons filling on circle. Fold dough in half over filling; press edge with fork to seal. On ungreased cookie sheet, place 2 inches apart. Poke top of each once with fork to vent steam.
- Bake 10 to 12 minutes or until light golden brown. Cool 10 minutes. Store leftovers loosely covered in refrigerator.