Fried Flying Fish and Cou Cou is widely considered to be the National Dish of Barbados. This Bajan Recipe is made with breaded fillets of flying fish, a creole sauce, and a side of cou cou which is made with cornmeal and okra.
Fried Flying Fish and Cou Cou
Fried Flying Fish
- 12 flying fish fillets
- 3 eggs beaten
- 1 cup flour
- 1 cup breadcrumbs
- 2 cups soybean oil
- 2 tbsp salt
- 2 limes
- 2 cloves garlic crushed
- 1 onion sliced
- 3 tbsp olive oil
- 2 bell peppers sliced
- 1 tbsp thyme finely chopped
- 8 oz stewed tomatoes
- 1 tsp sugar
- 1 tbsp pickled pepper juce
- 4 tbsp parsley chopped
- ½ cup vegtabale stock
- 8 oz fine yellow cornmeal
- 12 okras sliced ¼ inch thick
- 4 cups water
- Olive oil
For Flying Fish
- Marinate the flying fish fillets in a mixture of water, lime juice and salt for ten minutes.
- Remove the filets and pat dry with a paper towel.
- Coat each filet in dry flour, then the beaten eggs and lastly in breadcrumbs
- Heat the soybean oil and fry each fish filet until golden brown, and Set aside.
For Creole Sauce
- To make the creole sauce, begin by adding oil to a skillet or frying pan. Sauté the onions, bell peppers and garlic in the hot oil for about a minute.
- Add the thyme, sugar, vegetable stock and pickled pepper juice. Cover the pan and let the sauce simmer for about fifteen to twenty minutes.
- Add the salt and chopped parsley. Turn off the heat.
For Cou Cou
- Pour three cups of water into a pot.
- Add salt and the sliced okra, bring to a boil and then turn off the heat.
- Use a slotted spoon or strainer to remove the okra and set aside. Retain the salted water.
- In another pot on low heat, combine the fine cornmeal and one cup of water.
- Use a wooden spoon or whisk to stir this mixture. Break up any lumps of cornmeal.
- As the cornmeal mixture begins to thicken, gradually add the salted water.
- Continue whisking. After three minutes more, mix in the cooked okra and turn off the heat.
- Spoon some Cou Cou into a bowl greased with olive oil.
- As the Cou Cou begins to get firm, overturn the bowl onto a serving dish to plate it.
- Serve the Cou Cou with the fried flying fish filets. Pour the creole sauce over the fish and cut two lime slices for garnishing.
Shop Online at Amazon
Crock Pot Artisan 10 Inch Enameled Cast Iron Round Skillet, Scarlet Red
- Made of cast iron
- Side molded for easy pouring
- Easy to clean
Price: $44.29 & Free Shipping for Prime Members
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.