Mandocas are flavored corn fritters that are deep-fried cornmeal rings. These tasty treats are usually served at breakfast and eaten with butter and cheese while still hot. This Venezuelan recipe comes from the western state of Zulia.
Ingredients Needed to Make Mandocas
Goya Panela Brown Sugar Cane 1 Lb – Redonda
- Panela is unprocessed brown sugar that is made from sugar cane juice.
- Use panela as an alternative to regular sugar to sweeten juices or coffee.
- 100% natural.
Price: $7.40 ($0.46 / Ounce)
McCormick Whole Allspice, 0.75 oz
- McCormick Whole Allspice is hand-picked for the peppery, sweet flavor
- The flavor is reminiscent of a combination of cinnamon, nutmeg, and cloves
- The dried berry of an evergreen tree from the Caribbean & Central America
Price: $3.19 ($4.25 / Ounce)
Amazon Brand – Happy Belly Cinnamon Sticks, Whole, 1.5 Ounces
- Aromatic, with a sweet, deep, warm, delicate flavor
- Sweet and spicy fragrant whole cinnamon sticks
- Use as stirrers for hot beverages, garnish for seasonal dishes, and to infuse recipes with cinnamon flavor
Price: $5.39 ($3.59 / Ounce)
Frontier Natural Products Anise Star Select Whole, 0.64-Ounce
- A warm-sweet seasoning that imparts a licorice-like flavor to desserts, liquors and meats
- All-Natural, Non-GMO Verified, Kosher
- Select Grade (minimum 75% whole stars), Non-Irradiated
Price: $4.29 ($6.70 / Ounce)
Maseca Corn Flour, 4.4 lb
- No preservatives added
- Instant masa flour has no cholesterol
- Maseca corn flour is gluten-free
- Suitable for making tortillas, sopes, empanadas, enchiladas, pupusas, huaraches and atole
Price: $3.57 ($0.05 / Ounce)
Banana Plantain Macho Conventional
- Whole Foods Market is known for its incredible selection of high-quality produce, including loads of organic and Whole Trade choices
- All fruits and vegetables are labeled with place of origin
- Whole Foods Market is the first and only certified organic national grocery store.
Price: $1.29 per pound
Velveeta Queso Blanco Loaf, 32-Ounce
- Velveeta Queso Blanco offers a cheesy flavor and creamy texture
- Single block of queso cheese product allows for quick and easy slicing
- Made with skim milk and milk for a smooth, creamy texture
Price: $7.48 ($0.23 / Ounce)
Mazola Canola Oil, 40 fl oz
- Great for baking, grilling, sautéing, and marinating
- Canola oil is a cholesterol free food with 14g of total fat per serving.
- Neutral taste to let the true flavors of food shine through
Price: $4.92 ($0.12 / Fl Oz)
Mandocas ~ Flavored Corn Fritters
- Add all the ingredients in a small saucepan over medium heat. Bring to a boil, stirring occasionally, and cook for 2-3 minutes or until the papelon is dissolved. Remove from heat and cover for 15 – 20 minutes to steep spices and cool. Once cool remove spices from the saucepan and discard.
- In a medium bowl stir corn flour and syrup together with your hands. Knead until the mixture comes together and has no lumps. Add mashed plantaina and cheese and continue kneading until fully incorporated. The dough should be firm enough holds its shape without cracking when molded, soft and kneadable (like playdough), but not sticky. If it is too soft add a little more of corn flour; if too hard add a little more water. Let dough rest for 5 minutes. Divide the dough into 20 equal-size balls. Set aside.
- Take a ball and place it over the countertop. Roll, with the palms of your hands, into a cylinder until dough is 5-6 inches long. Bring ends together and overlap them to form a tear- loop. Press ends together. Repeat until you finish with all the dough.
- Add oil to a medium heavy pot. Heat it over medium heat until reach 375º F. Carefully add the shaped dough to the oil, a few at a time, and fry until golden about 2 minutes, turning once. Drain on paper towels.
- Serve immediately with cheese if desired.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.