This Mexican-inspired pasta dish can be made in 30 minutes or less. In this Mexican recipe, pasta is mixed with, sliced chicken breast, Mexican spices, bell peppers and green chiles.
Mexican Pasta With Chicken and Peppers
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 1 garlic clove minced
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 4 plum tomatoes or 6 whole canned tomatoes well drained
- 3 scallions
- 1 large green bell pepper
- 3/4 lb vermicelli or 3/4other thin pasta
- 1/2 lb boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1 tbsp vegetable oil
- 1 can chopped mild green chilies drained, 4 ounce
- 1/4 tsp salt omit if using regular chicken broth
- 1/4 cup fresh cilantro stem optional
- In a medium saucepan, bring the chicken broth, garlic, cumin and chili powder to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Meanwhile, coarsely chop the tomatoes, scallions and bell pepper. Break the vermicelli into 2-inch pieces.
- Add the chicken to the boiling broth, reduce the heat to medium-low, cover and simmer until the chicken is cooked through, about 10 minutes. Remove the chicken and set it aside to cool slightly.
- In a large nonstick skillet, warm the oil over medium-high heat until hot but not smoking. Add the vermicelli and cook, stirring, until the vermicelli is lightly browned, about 2 minutes.
- Add the broth mixture, tomatoes, scallions, bell pepper, green chilies and salt, and bring to a boil over medium-high heat. Reduce the heat to low, cover and simmer, stirring occasionally, until the pasta is cooked, about 7 minutes.
- Meanwhile, shred the chicken. Mince the cilantro (if using).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.