Polvorones de Canela are Cinnamon Sugar Cookies. This Mexican recipe is made with butter, powdered sugar, cinnamon, vanilla extract, and flour. It takes your traditional sugar cookie and bumps it to the next level with a double helping of cinnamon.
There are as many ways of making this recipe as there are people cooking them. Some people roll the dough into 1″ round balls and cook them like that, They form into a dome. Some people roll the dough into a log and cut the cookies off then cook them, they tend to turn out in an oval shape. But I like uniformity, so I rolled out the dough and used a cookie cutter. Blame it on my OCD baby!
Regardless of how you slice it, you can cut these sweet cinnamon sugar cookies into any shape you can imagine! We chose a standard flower shape for some flare. You can make them for Christmas in the shape of a Christmas tree or for Halloween in the shape of a pumpkin, but they’re just as good throughout the year as they are for a holiday treat.
These cinnamon sugar cookies are easy to make and perfect for afternoon coffee, dessert, or any cookie tray. They are so good with a cup of hot chocolate, coffee or milk. Delight both your family and friends with this tasty treat of cinnamon yumminess!
Polvorones de Canela ~ Cinnamon Sugar Cookies
- 1 cup butter
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- ½ tsp cinnamon
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp pure vanilla extract
- 2 cups flour
Cinnamon Sugar Mix
- ¼ tsp cinnamon
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 1 tsp granulated sugar
- Cream the butter and sugar until light and fluffy. Add in the cinnamon, salt, and vanilla. Add the flour in gradually, mixing well after each addition. Wrap the dough in plastic wrap and chill for an hour or so in the refrigerator.
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Line baking sheets with parchment paper.
- In a mixing bowl mix cinnamon-powdered sugar together.
- Roll the dough out to ⅓ inch thick and use a cookie cutter to cut out the cookies. Dust them in the cinnamon-powdered sugar mixture. Place on baking sheets approximately 1" apart.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes, until browned.
- Remove from oven and dust cookies with granulated sugar.
- Cool on a wire rack.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.