This Brown Stew Chicken is a spicy Jamaican recipe consisting of chicken dark meat that is browned and simmered in a rich gravy made with onions, peppers, ketchup, and water. The end result is tender chicken, flavorful, and rich brown stew gravy.
This chicken dish is a flavorful, rich Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken that is made with chicken that has been intensely marinated in a variety of aromatic spices then the chicken is cooked in a rich gravy resulting in the most amazing Jamaican stew ever.
Need a Substitute for Browning Sauce?
If you cannot find Browning Sauce in your grocery store you can simply make it yourself. Mix 1/2 cup of brown sugar with 1 cup of water and heat on low or medium until the sauce turns nearly black. Add a teaspoon of chicken broth and continue to stir until the sauce is thoroughly mixed.
If you’ve tried this recipe, please don’t forget to Rate the Recipe and let us know how you liked it in the comments below. You can also FOLLOW US on Facebook as well as on Instagram @hispanic_food_network and Twitter.
Jamaican Brown Stew Chicken
- 3 lbs chicken thighs boneless and skinless
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
- 2 tsp browning sauce
- 2 tsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp onion powder
- 2 tsp salt to taste
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1 tsp dried thyme
- ½ tsp black pepper
- ¼ tsp allspice
- 1 yellow onion chopped
- 3 spring onions chopped
- ½ green pepper chopped
- ½ red pepper chopped
- 1 scotch bonnet seeds removed and chopped
- 4 garlic cloves chopped
- 1 inch ginger chopped
- ¼ cup oil
- 2 tbsp ketchup
- 1 cup chicken broth
- ½ cup water
- Add chicken, brown sugar, browning, garlic powder, onion powder, salt, paprika, dried thyme, black pepper, allspice, onions, green pepper, red pepper, scotch bonnet, garlic cloves, and ginger to a bowl and mix, rubbing the seasoning into the chicken.
- Cover and marinate in the fridge for at least 1 hour or overnight.
- Remove the chicken, onions, and peppers from the marinade. Set aside the onions and peppers for later use.
- In a large skillet, heat oil over medium heat and add chicken, brown for about 1-2 minutes per side.
- Remove chicken and add reserved peppers and onions to the skillet and sauté until softened, for about 5 minutes.
- Add chicken back into the skillet along with chicken broth, water, and ketchup.
- Bring mixture to a simmer and cover and simmer for 30 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Remove cover and simmer for an additional 10 minutes, to reduce the gravy.
- Serve and enjoy.
Did You Know?
Browning Sauce, also known as Jamaican ketchup, is a Jamaican condiment. The ingredients are usually cane vinegar, sugar, tomatoes, onions, raisins, sea salt, ginger, peppers, garlic, cloves, black pepper, thyme, mangoes, and orange peel, aged in oak barrels. The sauce is sweet, sour, and mildly spicy. There are many variants of this sauce.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.