These Rice & Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls are a culinary delight from the island of Cuba. Rollitos de Col Rellenos de Arroz Y Carne is a Cuban recipe made with cabbage, ground beef, rice, onions, garlic, carrots, adobo, tomatoes, tomato paste, beef broth, sugar, and bay leaves.
Although Cabbage Rolls are traditionally considered to be an Eastern European dish this variation is a Cuban spin on the Rollitos de Col Rellenos recipe with grated carrots and adobo spice. So let’s fire up the stove and cook this delicious Cuban treat.
Rice & Beef Stuffed Cabbage Rolls
For the Cabbage Rolls
- 1 cabbage
- 1 ⅕ lbs ground beef
- ½ cup rice
- 2 carrots grated
- 2 med onions chopped finely
- 1 tbsp garlic
- 1 tbsp adobo
- 1 tbsp salt
- 1 tbsp black pepper
For the Sauce
- 1 can tomatos diced
- 2 tbsp tomato paste
- 3 cups beef stock
- 2 bay leaves
- 1 tsp sugar
- Remove the cabbage core without harming the leaves.
- Fill a cooking pot with about 2 cups of water. Place cabbage, cored side down, cover, and cook for 20 minutes to soften leaves.
- In a separate mixing bowl mix ground beef, onions, rice, carrots, salt, black pepper, garlic, and adobo, and mix well.
- Stuff your cabbage leaves with the filling mix
- Place one layer of cabbage leaves on the bottom of the casserole dish.
- Place cabbage rolls seam side down in the casserole dish. You can make more than one level of stuffed cabbage rolls.
- In a cooking pot place the beef stock, sugar, bay leaves, and tomato paste. Heat over medium-high, then pour the mix over the stuffed cabbage.
- Cover the dish with the remaining cabbage leaves.
- If you are using a casserole dish bake at 350 degrees for an hour.
- After cooking, remove the top layer of cabbage leaves and set them aside. Remove the cabbage rolls and serve warm covered with cooking broth.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.