Rooted in the sun-kissed port city of Cancún, Tacos de Pescado Con Mango – or Fish and Mango Tacos – are a marvel of Mexican culinary tradition. This delightful dish marries seasoned, flaky fish and zesty mango salsa, delivering an explosion of flavors that will transport you to Mexico’s tropical coast. Enveloped in parchment paper and baked to a tender perfection, the fish is then nestled in a warm tortilla, garnished with crisp cabbage, rich cheese, and the refreshing mango salsa.
Tantalizing Tango: Fish and Mango Salsa
The joy of these tacos springs from the magical pairing of succulent fish with a vibrant mango salsa. The fish, seasoned with a harmonious blend of chili powder, cumin, Mexican oregano, and garlic salt, becomes the star of this dish. Meanwhile, the mango salsa – a tropical medley of ripe mangos, minced red bell pepper, lime juice, cilantro, green onions, and a kick of jalapeno pepper – adds a fruity twist to this savory dish, ensuring an unforgettable flavor profile.
Building the Perfect Bite: Layered Texture and Flavor
The assembly of these tacos is a thoughtful process that layers textures and flavors. Each warm tortilla cradles an equal amount of the seasoned, flaky fish. The fish is then complemented by the crunch of shredded cabbage and the creamy texture of crumbled Cotija cheese, a traditional Mexican cheese. The finishing touch, a generous dollop of the mango salsa, adds a refreshing zing that rounds out the taste and elevates the overall dining experience.
Tacos de Pescado Con Mango ~ Fish and Mango Tacos
Please Rate this Recipe
- 2 large ripe mangos peeled, pitted and chopped
- ¼ cup minced red bell pepper
- 1 tbsp lime juice
- 1 tbsp cilantro
- 2 green onions sliced (green tops only)
- 1 small jalapeno pepper stem, seeds and membrane removed
- 1 lb cod fillets rinsed and patted dry
- 1 tsp chili powder
- ½ tsp ground cumin
- ½ tsp Mexican oregano
- ½ tsp garlic salt
- 8 corn tortillas warmed
- 2 cups shredded green or red cabbage
- ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese may substitute shredded Monterey Jack
- Preheat oven to 425°F.
Prepare the Mango Salsa
- Stir together 2 large ripe mangos, bell pepper¼ cup minced red bell pepper, 1 tbsp lime juice, 1 tbsp cilantro, 2 green onions and 1 small jalapeno pepper in a medium bowl; set aside.
Prepare the Fish
- Place 1 lb cod fillets on 2 large sheets of parchment paper.
- Stir together dry seasonings1 tsp chili powder, ½ tsp ground cumin, ½ tsp Mexican oregano, and ½ tsp garlic salt in a small bowl and sprinkle over cod.
- Bring edges of parchment paper together and fold twice. Fold ends under to enclose fish. Place packets on a baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes.
- Open packets carefully to let steam escape.
Assemble the Taco
- Place equal amounts of cod in each 8 corn tortillas and top with 2 cups shredded green or red cabbage, ½ cup crumbled cotija cheese and mango salsa.
Crafting the Full Mexican Dining Experience: Delicious Pairings
After the main course, consider introducing complementary elements to complete your meal. Tacos de Pescado Con Mango pair beautifully with a cold Corona beer or an Authentic Mexican Margarita, both of which offer a refreshing counterpoint to the tacos’ robust flavors. For dessert, consider a classic Mexican sweet treat. Homemade Churros or a delectable Chocolate Flan would provide a sweet finale to your authentic Mexican feast. After all, every culinary journey should end on a sweet note!
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.