Hilachas de Carne is a popular Guatemalan recipe for Shredded Beef Stew. The beef, potatoes, and green beans are simmered in a mildly spicy tomatillo-tomato sauce.
The secret of Hilachas de Carne is in the sauce. It’s velvety, lightly spiced, and full of flavor. Pair this dish with a side of rice and fresh corn tortillas or white tamales for a full meal.
This Shredded Beef Stew is considered a balanced dish, native to the Salamá area in Guatemala. Hilachas de Carne is rich in varied ingredients and essential to the palate of many Guatemalans. It makes an excellent lunch or a filling dinner.
Hilachas de Carne ~ Beef Stew
- 2 lbs beef flank steak or skirt steak cubed
- 5 cups water
- 2 tbsp oil
- 1 onion chopped
- 1 cup tomatoes chopped
- 1 cup tomatillo chopped
- 2 guajillo chilies warmed over a flame, deseeded and chopped
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1 lb potato peeled and chopped
- ½ lb green beans
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- 1 bunch cilantro chopped
- Place the beef, water and a big pinch of salt in a large saucepan and bring to a boil over medium heat. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer for 1 to 1 ½ hours, or until the beef is very tender.2 lbs beef flank steak or skirt steak, 5 cups water, salt and pepper
- Remove the beef to a bowl, reserving the broth, and set aside to cool
- When cool enough to handle, shred the beef with your fingers and set aside.
- While the beef is simmering, place the onion, tomatoes, tomatillos and chiles in a food processor or blender and puree, adding a little water if necessary.1 onion, 1 cup tomatoes, 1 cup tomatillo, 2 guajillo chilies
- Heat the oil in a large pot over medium flame. Add the onion-tomato puree and simmer until the puree is cooked down and darkens somewhat in color, about 10 minutes. Do not burn.2 tbsp oil
- Add the shredded beef and about 3 cups of the broth to the onion-tomato puree and season with salt and pepper. Simmer for about 15 minutes.
- Stir in the potatoes, green beans, onions, and a little more broth or water if necessary. Simmer until the potatoes and green beans are cooked through, about 15-20 minutes.1 lb potato, ½ lb green beans, 1 onion
- Stir in the breadcrumbs to thicken the sauce.½ cup breadcrumbs
- Then stir in the chopped cilantro, adjust seasoning and serve hot with corn tortillas or rice.1 bunch cilantro
Support Hispanic Food Network
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.