Estofado con Papas is a hearty Beef and Potato Stew that is a Guatemalan recipe that is associated with the city of Sololá. This dish may be prepared with beef, potatoes, onions, peppers, garlic, and tomatoes. Some additional ingredients like carrots, peas, corn, and mushrooms can be included in the stew.
This beef and potato stew is enhanced with wine or beer, and its consistency should not be too runny but slightly thickened. We recommend accompanying this traditional beef and potato stew with white rice and tortillas.
When you cook a stew you must be patient. Cook it until the potatoes begin to dissolve and the meat is so soft that it can be cut with a fork.
Estofado con Papas is very popular in Hispanic and Latino countries like Cuba, Venezuela, Puerto Rico, Honduras, Colombia, and El Salvador, to name a few.
Estofado con Papas ~ Potato Stew
Please Rate this Recipe
- 1 lb beef cubed
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 onion sliced
- 1 bell pepper sliced
- 2 potatoes diced
- 1½ cups tomatoes diced
- flour as needed
- salt to taste
- pepper to taste
- 1 branch thyme
- 1 cup wine or beer optional, but highly recommended
- Coat the meat through flour, season, and braze the meat in a pot.
- Add the vegetables and cover, cook for a few minutes.
- Add the wine or beer and scrape the bottom of the pot, to integrate the parts that stick to the bottom of the pot, let the alcohol evaporate.
- Add the tomato and cook for an additional 10 minutes.
- Fill the pot with water, add herbs and cook until the meat is very soft and the texture of the stew is correct (it is not a soup).
- Season and serve with rice and tortillas.
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.