This Cuban recipe for Pastelitos de Guayaba is a flakey, sweet, and delicious puff pastry filled with cream cheese and guava. Some other traditional fillings are pineapple and coconut.
The savory fillings are usually beef, but sometimes chicken or ham and cheese are used. It is typical to include raisins and green olives as part of the meat filling. It is also typical for a sweet glaze to be applied to the top of even savory fillings.
Pastelitos de Guayaba
Please Rate this Recipe
- 1 box 1 lb frozen puff pastry (2 sheets), thawed
- 9 tbsp guava paste
- I 8oz bar of cream cheese
- 2 tbsp of powdered sugar
- 1 tsp of Vanilla
- 1 sliver if lemon
- ½ tsp of salt
- Powdered sugar for dusting
- Preheat oven to 400°F. Grease or line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
- Layout 1 sheet of puff pastry. Mix cream cheese, vanilla, lemon juice, sugar and salt.
- Evenly spread the cheese on one entire sheet as if you were buttering toast then add slices of Guava spaced out to make rows of three across, and downward, which should total 9 sections/square of cheese and Guava slices throughout.
- Following the pastry with the filling in rows – 3 across and 3 down.
- Cover the guava and cheesecake flavored cream cheese with the other sheet of puff pastry.
- Using a pizza cutter or knife, cut the pastry into 9 squares like tic-tac-toe lines.
- Pre-Heat Oven 450°degrees.
- Transfer pastries to a baking sheet and bake at 400°F for 15-20 minutes, until puffed and golden.
- Remove pastries to a wire rack to cool and dust with powdered sugar.
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.