Variations on the Tripleta
Although most recipes call for steak, pork, and ham sometimes chicken or sausage is substituted for one of these meats. The sandwich is usually stacked high with cheese and veggies like tomato, lettuce, cabbage, and onions. Most often the Tripleta is most often pressed flat to make a crunchy sandwich although sometimes it’s served on a soft, hoagie-style roll. Either way, every bite is packed with delicious meaty and savory flavors.
History of the Tripleta
Not much is known of the history of the Tripleta sandwich other than it,s a popular Puerto Rician street food. Some say it was made after the Cubano sandwich but that is more rumor and comparison than anything else.
The City of Isabela, Puerto Rico
Isabela is a region on Puerto Rico’s northwest coast. To the west, Jobos Beach has a sheltered cove opening up to more powerful surf. Nearby, Shacks Beach has underwater caves and coral reefs. To the east, the abandoned Guajataca Tunnel leads to the rugged coastline of Guajataca Beach. Inland, forest trails in the Bosque Estatal de Guajataca lead to Cueva del Viento, a cave filled with limestone formations.
Tourism in Isabela, Puerto Rico
One of Isabela’s current main industries is tourism because it’s a coastal city with several beaches, panoramic views, and other attractions such as its rainforest, rivers, lake, cordillera mountains, submarine rivers, caves, and archaeological sites. It is visited by many local tourists as well as those seeking some “sun and fun” from the United States mainland and other countries.
The Fiestas Patronales de San Antonio de Padua is a religious and cultural celebration that generally features parades, games, artisans, amusement rides, regional food, and live entertainment.
The Cuisine of Isabela, Puerto Rico
The cuisine of Isabela is much like the rest of Puerto Rico in that plantains are the potatoes of Puerto Rico. The Mofongo is a famous Puerto Rican dish, which is fried, and mashed plantains, formed as a bowl, filled with your choice of fish, pork, or chicken. It varies a lot from place to place around the island, then of course you have fresh fish and squids.
Puerto Ricans also enjoy Tamales which are made with many kinds of meat or fish mixed with vegetables, wrapped in a banana or corn leaf. Fried Empanadas with fish, meat, or chicken are also very popular.
– Featured Restaurant –
La Chancleta de Maíz
22 Av. Estacion, Isabela, 00662, Puerto Rico
Phone Number: +1 787 830 9200
Foodtruck & Restaurant Cantine. We are a 100% Puerto Rican company specializing in Tacos made with our Puerto Rican seasoning. We have our variety of picos de gallos made with fresh fruits and vegetables. All of our hot sauces are made in our restaurant. Our tortillas are made in San Lorenzo, PR received weekly to guarantee freshness.
How to Make a Sándwich de Tripleta 🎖 The Three Meat Sandwich
This recipe calls for all the meat to be already cooked because of the time involved in cooking it. The Pernil (Roasted Pork) alone takes about 8 hours to make so usually the meat is prepared in advance or leftovers are used.
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Knife
- 1 Sandwich Press
How to Cook a Sándwich de Tripleta 🎖 The Three Meat Sandwich
Time needed: 15 minutes
Sándwich de Tripleta 🎖 The Three Meat Sandwich Cooking Directions
- Assemble the Sandwich
Cut the french bread and spread the mayonnaise and ketchup on both sides. Add the cheese, stack the meats, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, and french fries, then top with the other side of the french bread
- Press the Sandwich
Heat the entire sandwich in a sandwich press until the bread is toast.
This is a big sandwich so it will easily feed two people and probably more like three or four people. They do not store well so try to finish them when you cook them because it is best when made fresh.
Sándwich de Tripleta 🎖 The Three Meat Sandwich
Please Rate this Recipe
- 1 Cutting Board
- 1 Knife
- 1 Sandwich Press
- 1 loaf french bread
- 2 tsp mayonnaise
- 4 tsp ketchup
- 4 slices swiss cheese
- 10 oz steak cooked
- 10 oz pernil (roasted pork) cooked and shredded
- 10 oz ham cooked and sliced
- 4 oz cabbage
- 4 oz tomatoes
- 4 oz onions
- 4 oz french fries cooked
- Cut the french bread, spread the mayonnaise, ketchup on both sides. Add the cheese, stack the meats, cabbage, tomatoes, onions, french fries, and top with the other side of the french bread.1 loaf french bread, 2 tsp mayonnaise, 4 tsp ketchup, 4 slices swiss cheese, 10 oz steak, 10 oz pernil, 10 oz ham, 4 oz cabbage, 4 oz tomatoes, 4 oz onions, 4 oz french fries
- Heat the entire sandwich in a sandwich press until the bread is toast.
- If your meat is not cooked you will need additional time to cook it.
- If you do not have a sandwich press use a skillet or griddle and press down on the sandwich while cooking it.
Recipes Used to Make Ingredients of the Sándwich de Tripleta 🎖 The Three Meat Sandwich
Things That Go Well a Sándwich de Tripleta 🎖 The Three Meat Sandwich
Be sure to sign up for our newsletter and leave a comment about this recipe if you can. Thank you for taking the time to visit our website and coman bien mis amigos (eat well my friends).
- Hispanic Food Network – Copyright 2022
- By La Chancleta de Maíz – https://www.facebook.com/Lachancletademaiz/
- By Arq. Luis A. Mendez – en.wiki, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=1778022
- By National Oceanic and Atmospheric Administration – https://photolib.noaa.gov/Collections/Americas-Coastline/Caribbean/emodule/888/eitem/38587, Public Domain, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=107219429
- By Norma Arbelo Irizarr…, CC BY-SA 3.0, https://commons.wikimedia.org/w/index.php?curid=56342331
Recipe Roundup Weekly Newsletter
Signup to receive our new recipes every week. Every Monday we send out last week’s newly published recipes. Never miss a recipe from Hispanic Food Network.